Maltese Dog Full Profile Information
Maltese dog is a small and cute dog breed in the Toy group. This breed has come from the dogs growing in the Central Mediterranean Area. The origin and name of the breed are believed to have derived from Malta, a Mediterranean island nation. Over the centuries, this dog breed was called as Cains Meliorates, the ancient dog of Malta, Maltese Lion Dog, Roman Ladies Dog, and Melisa. It is believed to have originated in the 19th century as per the records of The Kennel Club.
The Maltese teacup breed probably has been descended from a Spitz kind of dogs that are found among Swiss Lake Dwellers and believed to have bred selectively to achieve its small size.
- Maltese Dog Full Profile Information, History, Facts, Price, Training & Care
- Pomeranian Dog | Full Profile Info, Health, Temperament, Price
- Other names: Canis familiaris Maelitacus
- Common nicknames: Maltese lion puppy
- Dog breed group: Companion dogs
- Origin: Mediterranean Area
- Male Weight: 3–8 lb (1.4–3.6 kg)
- Female Weight: 2–7 lb (0.91–3.18 kg)
- Male Height: 8–10 in (20–25 cm)
- Female Height: 8–9 in (20–23 cm)
- Coat: white
- Litter size: 1 to 3 puppies.
- Lifespan: 12-15 years
This breed has been known by a variety of names throughout the centuries. It has also been known in English as the “Maltese Terrier”, the “ancient dog of Malta,” the “Roman Ladies’ Dog,” the “Maltese Sleeve Dog,” and “Melita” (the former name of Malta). The origin of the common name “Cokie” is unknown, but is believed to have originated in the mid-1960s on the U.S. East Coast and spread in popular use. This breed has sometimes been incorrectly referred to as a “Bichon“, a name that refers to the family (“small long-haired dog”) and not the breed. The Kennel Club officially settled on the name “Maltese” for the breed in the 19th century.
This dog breeds small are very gentle, fearless and greets you and your guests as a friend. Many get deceived by its haughty nobility looks which is a result of their glamorous white coat. dog temperament lively are energetic and healthy dogs that excel not only as a friendly companion but also as a good competitor in dog sports like obedience, agility, tracking, and rally. This breed likes to be with his people all the time and is used as therapy dogs too. The dog breed was given many names before, but now it is simply known as Maltese dog temperament docile. These amazing toy dog breeds are very popular for their silky white hair that covers all his body. There were many colors in this breed a few years ago, but now they are all white.
Many feel that these dogs are hypoallergenic due to their thick and straight coat that falls on the floor, but this breed sheds very little hair. These are very sweet, intelligent and perfectly suits to apartment or condo living as they are the smallest toy breeds. These are effective watchdogs and are always responsive to their environment. They have quick learning abilities, energetic and have a long history as good companion dogs. dog breeds small needs a lot of care and attention from his human companion. They easily suffer separation anxiety if left alone for many hours a day. They can be very destructive and bark a lot if you abandon him for a long time. However, due to over-pampering they may bite, bark and become very protective if any dog or guest comes close to you. So one must get proper training to teach him socialization, obedience etc.
Highlights of Maltese Dog:-
- Even though this breed pleases you, he can be very difficult to train at home.
- These are highly prone to chills. One has to make sure they are not damp and not to make them walk in damp areas.
- Dog experts advise not to have a Maltese dog for households with small children or toddlers as they are very small in size and have delicate structure.
- Maltese dogs that have weak digestive systems are picky eaters. Also, they suffer from various eating problems if they have gum or teeth problems. Visit your vet for a check-up whenever you find your pet is showing discomfort while eating.
- To have a healthy and good Maltese dog avoid buying a puppy from a local puppy mill, pet stores, and irresponsible breeders. Approach only reputed breeders who provide you its parent’s health history to confirm that they did not pass any genetic diseases to its puppies.
- Also, check for sound temperament dogs which easily adapt itself to its surroundings without being overly shy or aggressive.
Maltese Dog Price:-
- Dog: – Average Price $150 to $500 & Price in India: INR 50000–125000
- Puppy:- Average Price $300 to $750
Maltese Dog care:-
These dog breeds small are generally healthy, but like any other dogs or breeds, they are prone to few health problems. Even though all Maltese dogs do not get any of the diseases we mentioned. But it is very important that you are well aware of the health issues if you are looking to have a Maltese at your home.
- Only buy a Maltese puppy from a dedicated and trusted breeder who has the health clearances of the puppy and its parents. This is very important to avoid genetic diseases from parent to the puppy.
- Take your Maltese pet for a regular walk and allow him to play outside as long as he wishes. They do not require more exercises as they are always active indoors.
- Avoid long walks for at least 8 months from its birth, as their bones are still developing. Contact your vet before you start a regimented exercise program for him.
- They do not tolerate extreme cold and heat. So make him always stay indoors.
- Ask your vet for a healthy and high-quality dry food that provides good nutrition for your dog. The recommended daily amount is usually 1/4 to 1/2 cup for dog breeds small Maltese and should be divided into two for morning and evening.
Maltese Dog Training:-
Maltese dog is highly intelligent and have the ability to learn new things and behaviors very quickly and with a lot of enthusiasm. these breed lots of praise, encouragement, and rewards are used. the training sessions should be short and fun filled to avoid their boredom. There is no need for harsh corrections and leash jerks during their training periods.
Contact a professional trainer to train your dog breeds small to strengthen the human-dog bond stronger. Interestingly these are easier to house train and comparatively more cooperative than most toy breeds.
SOME QUESTION FROM PEOPLE:-
1. How much is a Maltese dog?
- Ans:- around $300. Depending on their breeding, they usually cost anywhere from $1,000-$4,000.
2. How long do Maltese dogs live?
- Ans:- 12 to 15 Years
3. Are Maltese dogs smart?
- Ans:- Yes, Very Good Smart Dog
4. What do Maltese usually die from?
- Ans:- Heart failure is a leading cause
5. Are Maltese loyal?
- Ans:- Yes
6. Do Maltese Puppies sleep a lot?
- Ans:- New Maltese pups will sleep 18 to 22 hours and this will gradually decrease to 14 to 16 hours at the 1 year mark.
7. Are Maltese small dogs?
- Ans:- Yes
8. What are Maltese known for?
- Ans:- Maltese